Take a look at pictures from the Washburn School student of the month activity for the August winners. Every month since our establishment in the year 2003 we congratulate the students that were selected student of the month and that have demonstrated that they are striving for excellence at Washburn 🦅 .
Washburn’s Educational Philosophy
What is Washburn’s Educational Philosophy?
Washburn’s education philosophy starts by educating our fully bilingual students at an internationally competitive level with raised academic expectations, implemented through a rigorous curriculum that pushes students to reach their highest academic potential. Washburn prepares students to compete with their peers in highly performing educational systems in Puerto Rico and other countries. We are a college preparatory school, placing students at the center of the learning experience and passionately developing the next generation of leaders equipped with skills for life. Students are taught to be judicious risk-takers and creative problem solvers in a global society. Achievement of these goals will result in their becoming socially and ethically responsible adults. Our educational philosophy rests on three pillars to our success as a school. Washburn believes in a rigorous curriculum, in hiring effective and highly knowledgeable teachers, and encouraging student accountability while maintaining a highly supportive environment.
The Three Pillars of Washburn’s Philosophy:
Washburn School implements an internationally benchmarked and challenging curriculum in Puerto Rico.
Effective and highly knowledgeable Teachers
Washburn recruits and hires fully qualified, effective, and knowledgeable staff. Our teachers are able to convey the most complex content and concepts to young students. Most of our teachers have or are working on a Master’s degree or extensive experience in the classes they are assigned. Our teachers are true experts at the subject they teach and fully bilingual (English and Spanish).
Students at Washburn should take full responsibility for their educational achievements, developing a true love for learning.
Washburn School Goals
Develop complex thinkers who:
- will be prepared to enter any four-year college or university in Puerto Rico or around the world**
- demonstrate abstract conceptual thinking in an ever-complicated global society
- demonstrate critical thinking in a variety of problem-solving situations
- develop a complex level understanding of the symbolic language of Mathematics and Science**
- remain current and adept with developments in technology
Develop collaborative workers who:
- demonstrate self-directed study habits and individual student accountability
- utilize research skills for future success
- contribute to a safe and positive environment**
Develop effective communicators who:
- read, write, understand, and speak fluent English **
- convey ideas through coherent and focused essays and speech in both English and Spanish**
- read, write, and understand beyond grade-level-appropriate material in English and Spanish**
- develop effective presentation and communication in the classroom
- strive inter-personally and excel in professional competitive situations
- develop self-confidence, personal strengths, and integrity
- adept and ready to learn a third language
Develop community participants who:
- make a positive contribution with others in Puerto Rico and our increasingly global community**
- function together in a multi-cultural society with an appreciation of the contributions of others while respecting all types of diversity